Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Goin' to the chapel

Neither Adam's nor my family is from Chicago, so we won't be getting married at our family church.

Except we kind of will be.

You see, my grandfather grew up on the south side of Chicago. He attended high school at Quigley Preparatory Seminary in the 1940s.
chicagopc.info

While Quigley Prep closed its doors to students in 2005, the Archdiocese of Chicago now uses the building to house its offices. Inside the gorgeous building is the even more gorgeous Saint James Chapel.

My school hosts Mass in this chapel for students every Sunday night. I have attended that Mass a few times, and every time I am struck by how beautiful the chapel is.

Images of chapel via windows.org
The design of the chapel is based on Sainte-Chappelle in Paris. All of the stunning stained glass windows were recently restored.

Because it's not a parish, most people have never heard of this chapel. Quigley Prep is tucked away on a side street in the Gold Coast and this chapel is on the second floor. It is open to the public for tours on Saturday mornings. I love the architecture and the family connection of the chapel (Did I mention both of our dads are named James?), and as soon as I found out it's available for weddings, I knew that was where I wanted to get married.

2 days after we got engaged, I called to reserve our date. Fortunately, they had availability, so Adam and I will be getting married at the Saint James Chapel on:
September 29, 2012 at 1pm!

To make the ceremony even more special, my uncle will preside over the Mass and my dear friend from college will be our music director/pianist/organist. I can't wait!

No comments:

Post a Comment