Sunday, August 28, 2011

The Great Venue Search - Part 2


The Rookery
Photo credits: therookerybuilding.com

I've loved The Rookery for years. Even before we were engaged, I dreamed about having my wedding reception here. The building was designed by Daniel Burnham, an incredibly important Chicago architect. The light court (where the reception would be held) was designed by Frank Lloyd Wright and definitely satisfies #5 on the list. It satisfies #1-3, but is about 2 miles away from the chapel. As much as I loved The Rookery pre-engagement, when we walked through the space, we didn't feel it was the most conducive space to the type of reception we wanted to have

The Drake Hotel
OK, we never seriously considered The Drake, but if money were no object, this is where I would have my wedding. The Drake Hotel is a Chicago institution and is beyond elegant. It ticks every box on my list and then some. I knew it would probably cost a small fortune, but I couldn't help myself and I called anyway. Sadly, the Gold Coast Room (pictured above) was already booked for our date. They had another ballroom available, but if I couldn't have the Gold Coast Room, I knew it wasn't meant to be.

Fortunately, I wasn't too heartbroken because I'd already fallen in love with another venue. Stay tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment