Monday, October 24, 2011

I knew this was too easy.

Adam and I have been amazed by the ease of the wedding planning process so far. We booked the first venue we looked at and the first photographer we met with, and the second caterer we talked to. Everything's been falling into place and we haven't experienced any wedding-related stress...until now.

Last weekend, Adam's parents looked online at hotel prices for our wedding. The Marriott, where they always stay, was priced at over $400/night. WHAT?!? They immediately called to inquire and were told that the price hike is due to: 1) Ryder Cup going on in the suburbs and 2) a medical conference* in the Gold Coast.

I began to panic. Booking hotel rooms wasn't even on our radar and probably wouldn't have been something on our to-do list for another few months. All of a sudden, it had to happen NOW. When I started calling other hotels in the area, most of them quoted me prices like $279/night or $309/night, significantly higher than I hoped our guests would have to pay. Fortunately, I was able to find a few places that were much more affordable. I guess the silver lining is that we got to check something off our to-do list without it ever being on there to begin with.

Wedding problem #1 down. Probably dozens more to go.

*Ironically, the medical conference is being hosted by the American College of Surgeons, the same organization that owns our reception venue.

No comments:

Post a Comment