Monday, November 14, 2011

Dress Dreams

I haven't dreamed about my wedding dress since I was a little girl, but after seeing the runway show at the bridal expo, I got really excited for this portion of wedding planning. I'm also really nervous about it because I'm picky. I'm scared I won't find something that I will love.

I definitely have a few ideas about what I want in my dress:
  • not poofy (preferably a fit-and-flare or mermaid shape)
  • lace
  • sleeves or straps
  • V-neck or sweetheart neckline

Now for some visuals:

Photo credits: Paul Johnson Photography

This is my dream dress. I love the open back and it meets all of my requirements. Unfortunately, this dream dress is by Monique Lhuillier and costs $5,000+. Major sad face.

Photo credit: jlmcouture.com
Right after getting engaged, my mom emailed me this dress. It's by Alvina Valenta and costs about $4,000. Closer, but still over-budget. Thanks a lot, mom.

 Photo credits: preownedweddingdresses.com
 I actually saw this dress in person on a trip to look for bridesmaid dresses. The designer is Priscilla of Boston. Unfortunately, POB is closing its doors on December 31st and stopped accepting orders for gowns in August. I had the chance to try on and purchase the sample for $1,000 (!!!) in September when I went to the salon, but didn't because that would've meant eliminating the whole dress shopping experience. It was hard to walk away.

Photo credit: jlmcouture.com
 A few years ago before we were engaged but after I started thinking about getting married, I fell in love with this dress. It's by Jim Hjelm. I'm not sure if it's still sold or how much it costs, but I'd love to try it on because it's the first wedding dress I ever pictured myself wearing.

Photo credit: jlmcouture.com
Every dress I've shown so far has been 100% lace, but I'm also open to doing something like this. (I'd probably swap out the taupe sash for something sparkly, though.) Strapless dresses are very popular these days, so it would be pretty easy to find a simple strapless gown and buy a gorgeous lace bolero separately. I could even buy a white bridesmaid dress to get this look for a fraction of the price.

I have lots of ideas, but most of my married friends said that they ended up buying dresses that were completely different from their original visions. Who knows what I'll end up wearing down the aisle!

No comments:

Post a Comment