Friday, January 20, 2012

Wait a minute, Mr. Postman

As you may know*, the U.S. Postal Service is increasing stamp prices by one cent, effective January 22nd. Normally, this would be annoying, but fine. However, now that I am A Bride, this sucks! It's only a penny more, which translates to a total of maybe $3-4 extra in postage for every piece of wedding mail we have to send out. What I'm more upset about is that I have to go back to the drawing board for choosing which stamps to use.

The USPS has ugly stamps. I hate the wedding-themed stamps, and I don't want to put a picture of the American flag or the Statue of Liberty on my beautiful save-the-dates/invitations/reply cards!
 I got excited when I started looking because I saw a few stamps for specific states and cities. But of course there was no Chicago or Illinois stamp.
I looked into buying custom Chicago-themed stamps from Zazzle, but the prices were a bit outrageous at almost a dollar per stamp.
I finally settled on a set of 2 stamps that fit the modern vibe of our wedding invitation suite while still evoking a little bit of wedding romance. (Who knew I would ever put this much thought into choosing stamps!)
Done, right? Nope. These stamps are 44-cent stamps, not forever stamps. This means that the postage won't be sufficient beginning on Monday. We'd have to add a one-cent stamp along with these, and - you guessed it - I don't like any of the one-cent stamps.

So, it's back to the drawing board. I'm sure I'll find something, but if anyone from the USPS is reading this, you really should make prettier stamps!

*If you didn't know, you're welcome for the information.

No comments:

Post a Comment