Friday, February 10, 2012

Monograms and other sources of confusion

Matchbook Magazine
I love monograms. I think this obsession was engrained in me during my 4 years at a women's college where my classmates wore monogrammed bracelets, necklaces, and tote bags. Even our dining hall trays were monogrammed!

Over the past few years, I've been hesitant to buy anything monogrammed because I knew that when we got married, my monogram would change. Now that my new name is just around the corner, I want monogrammed everything!

But how do you monogram something if you have 4 names?

I like the idea of keeping my maiden name as a second middle name, but a second middle name complicates things. Obviously there's the monogram issue, but there are other issues, too. What would I list on forms as my middle initial? Do I have to pick just one, or can I list 2? I write my middle initial in my signature. Will I have to add my second middle initial? My new name isn't available as a Gmail address, so I'll have to add an initial. Do I add just one? Both? If I add both, will people be confused? If I have 2 middle names but only ever use the first one, what's the point of having the second middle name?

I hadn't really thought about all of these issues. It would be nice to keep my maiden name, but maybe it's not worth the confusion it will cause. What do you think? Should I keep it or lose it?

2 comments:

  1. i took my maiden name as a second middle name and i have to admit that it's been kind of a pain in the ass. the one nice thing is that my middle name (mary) and maiden name (mcdonald), both start with the same letter, so i just use TML for my monogram.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the comment, Terese! How convenient that both of your middle names have the same letter for monogramming purposes! I'm leaning toward just dropping my maiden name altogether. It just seems so strange to lose it, even though I'm not very attached to it.

      Hope you and the little man are doing well! He's precious!

      Delete