Sunday, March 4, 2012

How I Met Your Father

Growing up, I performed in lots of musicals. I loved performing so much that I planned to major in musical theatre in college. Eventually, I joined the debate team, realized I was pretty good at arguing, and decided to pursue a career in politics and/or law instead. I enrolled at Saint Mary's College as a political science major, but I wasn't quite ready to give up on musical theatre.

Adam was also involved in theatre in high school as the president of the drama club and has studied piano since he was 6. Despite his artistic inclinations, Adam enrolled at Notre Dame and decided to study finance. He still loved performing, though, and got involved in theatre at Notre Dame.

During his senior year, Adam served as the assistant stage manager for the Pasquerilla East Musical Company's production of Footloose. I was in my high school's production of Footloose just the year before and jumped at the chance to reprise my leading role. I was not cast in the show. In the spring, I mustered the strength to re-audition for PEMCo's musical revue. This time, I made it! Adam, while not known for his singing ability, was talked into auditioning for the musical revue by friends. Shockingly, he was also cast. Shortly after casting, Adam and his housemates (also PEMCo members) decided to throw a party for the cast. Adam offered to pick people up on campus and take them to his house off-campus. I didn't have a car, so I asked for a ride. Adam (and wedding party member Phil) picked me up from my dorm and took me to Adam's house. It wasn't exactly love at first sight, but throughout the course of the show, we wound up getting to know one another a bit. We struck up a friendship, and - in true musical theatre fashion - kissed at the end-of-show cast party.
Tiny babies at that fateful party.
But then Adam graduated from college and moved to Chicago, and I went to Ireland to study for a year. We remained friends, but I had a huge crush on him. We kept in touch, and when I got back to the States, I met up with Adam on a trip to Chicago. He took me out to dinner at a romantic Italian restaurant, and we have been together ever since!
Taken during our first month of dating
At this point, I was just about to start my junior year of college in South Bend, so we did the long-distance thing for the first 2 years of our relationship. Then I graduated...
...and moved to Indianapolis to start law school. Adam bought a car and we visited each other on weekends.
At Barrister's Ball during my 1L year
I finally moved to Chicago in 2010 when I was accepted as a transfer student at Loyola. And now we're on the road to happily ever after!

No comments:

Post a Comment