Thursday, March 29, 2012

Not-So-Beautiful Music

Back in August when Adam and I booked Saint James Chapel for our ceremony, we asked the wedding coordinator if, instead of using the provided musicians, we could have our friends do the music. Specifically, we wanted my good friend (and professional pianist) Nicholas to play piano and organ for the whole Mass.

The coordinator checked with the music department and said that wouldn't be a problem. Yay!

Fast forward to a few days ago: I emailed the music department because we want to start planning our ceremony. I said I just wanted to make sure it was still OK to have Nicholas play. I received an email in return saying that their policy is that no outside musicians are allowed to play with the exception of a soloist for one song. I spoke with one of musicians to no avail. Rules are rules, he said. I spoke with the chapel's wedding coordinator, and she said that she can speak with someone at the Cardinal's office to see if they'll waive the rule for us. In the mean time, I'm going to try to convince the music director to let us have our way.

I grew up singing in church with my family, and going to weddings with my parents while they sang for other people's celebrations. Adam and I have talented friends and family members whose talents we would like to use to make our celebration very personal for us. I will be so sad if all these talented people end up sitting in the pews on our wedding day instead of using their gifts to help us begin our marriage. Keep your fingers crossed for us!

No comments:

Post a Comment