Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Obedience Training

biblecollege.org
Now that a lot of the reception is taken care of, Adam and I have turned to our planning of the ceremony. Adam and I are Catholic and are having a full Catholic wedding. The best place to start when planning a Catholic wedding is to pick the readings because the readings tend to guide the songs you pick. We got a book from my uncle, our priest, with many common readings. As we read through them, we realized a common theme: submissive wives. One reading states, "As the Church is subordinate to Christ, so wives should be subordinate to their husbands in everything."

This did not sit well with me. I consider myself to be a feminist, and while Adam might choose a different word, he also believes that marriage is an equal partnership. Clearly, we will not be choosing this reading for our wedding.

And, no, I will not be vowing to "love, honor and obey" Adam. He's welcome to take that vow if he wants to, though.

Are there any Catholics out there with suggestions for readings (particularly from the Old Testament) that won't offend the feminist in me?

2 comments:

  1. Hey I know this is kind of late - but my brother who is a seminarian sent me a whole bunch of options for 1st, 2nd readings and gospel. It also has commentary with the readings which kind of helps with the more seemingly sexist ones. The problem is you don´t read the commentary during mass - so the guests dont hear that. Let me know how I could send them to you. I could email or post them on here if you want.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm trying to figure out how to tell you my email address without making it public, and I have no idea, so maybe it's better for you to just post them here. Thanks so much! I appreciate it!

      Delete