Friday, March 9, 2012

Put a ring on it

One night last May, Adam and I went out to dinner. We ordered a bottle of wine, and as the bottle emptied, our conversation turned to marriage. We had discussed getting married before, so this wasn't entirely shocking. Adam asked me how involved I wanted to be in the ring shopping process. I said that I would like to have some part in it because I had a pretty distinct vision of what I wanted, and I'm way too Type A to let someone else have complete control over a piece of jewelry I will wear every single day until I die. I asked if he wanted to go shopping so that I could show him what I wanted. He got really quiet and then admitted that he had plans to go ring shopping the next day with a good friend of ours.

I think my jaw hit the floor. While we had discussed marriage, I didn't think Adam was quite there yet. After I processed the fact that he was there, we decided to go shopping together the next morning.

I knew that I wanted an emerald or Asscher cut center stone with a plain white gold or platinum band and possibly some tapered baguette side stones (I told you I had a very specific vision). Adam only knew that I preferred square stones and that he did not like solitaires. I had never tried anything on before, so we both tried to keep open minds.

We started our day at Tiffany's on Michigan Avenue. I tried on several different rings, but this was my favorite ring, confirming my suspicions.
They also had an Asscher cut solitaire, which I loved. However, we were disappointed by the service, and the prices were a lot higher than what we could get elsewhere, so the search continued.

Next, we went to Fey and Co. in Lincoln Park. There, I tried on several more rings, but came back to a very similar setting to the one I liked at Tiffany's. Adam and I decided that we preferred an Asscher cut stone, but they didn't have any in stock. Instead, the salesman brought out three princess cut stones and let us look at them under a microscope. I think I would've gotten much better grades in science class if it had been like this! We learned all about the 4 Cs (cut, color, clarity, and carat) and examined each diamond to see what we preferred.

A few days later, we went to Dimend Scaasi in Jeweler's Row because they specialize in Asscher cut diamonds. There, we got to see a few Asschers for the first time, confirming that this is definitely what we wanted. We narrowed it down to two settings.


Even though I wanted a say in the ring, I still wanted to be a little bit surprised!

In the end, Adam went back to Fey and Co. to purchase my ring. He decided to go with the simpler setting because it was more timeless and he could use the extra money to get a nicer center stone. I could not be happier with my ring, and I'm so glad I got to be part of the shopping process.
Were you involved in ring shopping, or was the ring a total surprise?

2 comments: