Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Pre-Cana in review

This Saturday, Adam and I went to Pre-Cana at Saint Tarcissus parish. It was an all-day affair with 41 other engaged couples.

In the morning, we discussed what traits make a marriage successful and how to communicate effectively. In the afternoon, we discussed goal-setting, money, intimacy and children. I enjoyed the discussion of goals because we had never written down a list of individual and shared goals before, but everything else I feel like we'd discussed on our own. I had a hard time with a lot of the discussion because I felt like it was judgmental and focused a lot on traditional, heteronormative gender roles.

Honestly, the best part of the day was our lunch at nearby Superdawg, a Chicago institution.
I think that everyone should go through some sort of premarital counseling, but I didn't find Pre-Cana to be the best possible option for us. But it was required in order to get married in the Archdiocese of Chicago, so at least it served that purpose.

No comments:

Post a Comment