Monday, April 9, 2012

Why did my wedding dress cost so much?

NPR put out a story about the cost of wedding dresses. A recently married reporter took her wedding dress to a fabric dealer and experience tailor to determine how much the materials and labor cost. Spoiler alert: She paid significantly more for the dress than those totals combined.



Interesting stuff. My wedding dress is certainly the most expensive item of clothing I've ever purchased, and my budget was on the low end of what most bridal boutiques offer. I could have bought a cheaper dress, but I chose to support an independent designer, and ultimately am happy with my decision and my dress. But I'm glad that NPR has chosen to shed some light on the price-gouging that occurs in the wedding industry and the power of the WIC.

No comments:

Post a Comment