Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Church Jams

I have been singing in church since before I can remember. My parents were the music directors at our church when I was born, and they used to hold me while they sang on Sundays. When I was 6, my parents became the music directors for our diocese's televised Mass. I stood on a box of copier paper so that I would be tall enough for the camera to see me and for the microphone to pick up my voice. Countless couples came over to our house to pick out their wedding music with my parents from the big blue box of sheet music. I went to college at a place that has a rich culture of liturgical music. For me, narrowing down which music to have at the wedding is going to be impossibly difficult because I have fallen in love with so many songs over the years. Many little girls plan their colors and flowers, but I planned the music. Here are a few of my favorites:

We Are Called
This is a childhood favorite. I love the message of service. I think it would be a great gathering hymn.

The Servant Song
I fell in love with this song while in college. I think the song's message is beautiful, especially for a wedding.

The Lord's Prayer
This version of The Lord's Prayer was arranged by Steve Warner, the legendary Notre Dame Folk Choir director. It always reminds me of dorm Mass and never fails to bring tears to my eyes. I can pretty much guarantee that I will cry during this part of our wedding Mass.

How Can I Keep From Singing?
"Since love is Lord of heaven and Earth, how can I keep from singing?" Another Steve Warner favorite, this is the perfect song for a wedding. And it's so much fun to sing! I'll have to work on getting some drummers and tambourine players.

Lead, Kindly Light
Another Steve Warner favorite (the man's a genius), this song is about how God is always your companion even when the world is gloomy. It's a beautiful song with a beautiful message. I think it would be a beautiful song for the prelude while people are taking their seats.

Song of Ruth
I remember hearing my parents sing this at tons of weddings growing up, and I love it. My mom actually sang it to my dad at their wedding. It's a must-have at our wedding.

What are your favorite liturgical songs? Did you have a hard time narrowing down your musical choices?

No comments:

Post a Comment