Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Those Magic Feelings

There are a lot of feelings you're supposed to feel when you get married. It starts with the "OMG I'm engaged and blissfully happy!" feeling, then progresses to the "This is my dress! I'm a pretty princess!" feeling, and finally culminates in the "My wedding day was the best day of my life!" feeling.

But this isn't how it always happens.

When we got engaged, I was blissfully happy, but when I found out Adam wanted to go ring shopping, I panicked. Well, I didn't panic, but I wasn't blissfully happy. Getting engaged (and subsequently married) is a life-altering decision. I needed a little bit of time to process it. I'm very thankful that I got it out of my system before the proposal, but not everyone gets that luxury, so the first few days of engagement are often a mixture of joy and terror.

When I bought my dress, I didn't cry or squeal or clap my hands really fast like the girls on "Say Yes to the Dress." I smiled really big, said "This is it," and then promptly took it off. I've since received my dress and tried it on. I really like it and it makes me feel beautiful, but I felt the same way about my senior prom dress.

Adam and I have tried to plan a great event, but what if I don't love my wedding? I mean, I think I will, but weddings are intense. They are joyous occasion with everyone you love in the same room, but they are also stressful occasions with very high expectations. What if I don't feel transcendent joy? What if I don't feel transformed? What if I sob my face off all day? What if I just feel overwhelmed? Something I hear a lot about weddings is to try to live in the moment. Hopefully, I'll be able to do that on my wedding day and focus on feeling.

What advice do you have for bring present on your wedding day?

2 comments:

  1. I have no advice, but the same fears. I have so many expectations for it, and I get very happy and excited just thinking about being married. I think that as long as at the end of the day, I am married to my fiance, and my close friends and family are all there to witness it, I will be happy. Everything else is just fluff and isn't necessary, though it would be great if the rest went along smoothly as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm trying to keep all that in mind.

      Delete