Monday, June 4, 2012

13.1

On Saturday, I ran my first half-marathon. It was slow (2:33:08), but steady, and I accomplished my goal of finishing the race without stopping to walk.

I started running a little over a year ago. Before then, I used to say that I only ran when being chased. But I knew I needed to exercise, and running is a lot cheaper than joining a gym, so I asked my parents for running shoes for Christmas and started training for a 5K. After watching my friends run the Chicago Marathon, I was inspired to step it up, and decided I would run a half-marathon.

I chose the Sunburst because of the timing and because the finish line was on the field at Notre Dame Stadium.
That's me in the blue shorts!
I recruited my friend Erin to train with me. We followed this schedule for the last 12 weeks and crossed the finish line together on Saturday. (OK, technically I beat her by .13 seconds, but who's counting?)
I was happy that Adam was there the whole time cheering me on. He even made a special shirt for the occasion!
I'm really proud of myself for setting a goal I never thought I would have and accomplishing it. I never thought I would be a runner, but here I am, and I love it. I had a great race, and I can't wait until the next one!

1 comment:

  1. You are an inspiration - I hope to run a half marathon by the end of this year. Great job!

    ReplyDelete