Friday, August 17, 2012

In my life, I love you more.

My dad loves music. He is a high school math teacher now, but when I was little, he was a radio DJ. Some of my favorite childhood memories are of waking up at 4am to go into the station with him and do the morning show. I would help him pull the cartridges of the songs he had to play, and I was sometimes allowed to announce the weather forecast and answer the phones to pick lucky caller number 9. He used to make me mix tapes, too. My favorite has all Mariah Carey on one side and all Amy Grant on the other.

More than any other artist, my dad loves the Beatles. He has a huge Beatles record collection, including a Japanese version of their debut LP. When it came to picking a father/daughter dance song, it was a no-brainer that we would dance to a Beatles song. Surprisingly, my dad didn't want to pick and let me do the honors. After a bit of research and lots of listening, I chose In My Life.


John Lennon wrote this song about his childhood, so I think it's particularly fitting that my dad and I will dance to it on my wedding day, a coming-of-age moment.

What's your father/daughter dance song?

No comments:

Post a Comment