Friday, August 10, 2012

Showered with Love

Last Saturday, my family threw me and Adam a wonderful shower. I've written about it before, but it was a non-traditional shower in that it was for both me and Adam and both male and female relatives were invited.

My aunt and godmother hosted the shower at her house. My sister/maid of honor, mom, brothers, cousins, and aunt spent lots of time decorating and setting everything up, and I think it looked beautiful!
My sister got crafty with those crepe paper chandeliers, and my cousin E made the string balls on the ceiling. Her two sons (one of whom is my godson and our ring bearer), ages 5 and 7, helped her make them!
My crafty cousin B set out a mason jar with brightly colored tongue depressors and a frame stating "Jot down ideas for date nights." Upon seeing this activity, my aunt said, "Why do they need ideas for date nights? They're getting married!" Silly Aunt P!
Fittingly, a bumble bee made an appearance!

We ate delicious food, like lemon cupcakes with blueberry filling and mini cheesecakes...
...ham and chicken salad sandwiches, veggies, fruit salad...
...and a baked potato bar! Potatoes are my favorite food, and my mom knocked it out of the park with this idea.
Life-sized Jenga was a big hit...
 ...and the little ones (with some help from my brother A) occupied themselves with Legos while the grown-ups partied.
After snapping a quick photo of me and Adam...


...it was time for games! We played two games. For the first game, I had to leave the room while my cousin B asked Adam 10 questions. When I was allowed back in the room, I had to answer the questions. Guests had to guess how many questions I would answer the same as Adam.
I got 6 right. Not too bad.

Next up was a version of the Newlywed Game for all the couples in attendance. The photos from this game prove that the guys had fun at our co-ed shower.

I even got to meet my new cousin, Baby D! Such a cutie.

After games were played, we opened this pile of presents.
 I don't have any pictures of that, but we got a few really thoughtful gifts. Adam's parents gave us a frame containing a photo from their wedding and photos from both of Adam's grandparents' weddings. My gramama, who was unable to attend because her doctor thought she might have tuberculosis,* gave us a pair of matching shamrock aprons that she and my grandad used to wear together in the kitchen. My grandad passed away 3 years ago after 58 years of marriage, so it was really special to receive those much-loved gifts.

After the gift portion of the shower, we all changed into our swimsuits and jumped into the pool! I had a great time and couldn't have asked for a better shower.
Major thanks to my sister, aunt and two cousins for hosting the shower! Adam and I felt so loved. We really can't wait to see everyone again at the wedding!

*She does not have tuberculosis, but she was under quarantine for 5 days while she waited for blood test results. Pretty crazy!

No comments:

Post a Comment