Monday, September 3, 2012

Invitations Revealed

You guys, I've been a terrible blogger. We sent our invitations out almost a month ago, and I still haven't posted them. Well, wait no longer! Without further ado, here is our invitation suite.
Ain't she a beaut? I'm in love. OK, let's back up and start at the very beginning. (It's a very good place to start.) The envelope is an A7 size from Paper Source in Gravel. I did all the calligraphy myself to mirror the calligraphy on the invitation itself. That is by Emily from SparrowNestScript, whose work is much better than mine.
We got our return address printed on the back of the envelope, which saved me the headache (and hand cramps) of writing it 90 times.
Once guests opened the envelope, they were faced with the best part of the invitation suite: our envelope liner!
Isn't it gorgeous? Adam and I spent several hours working on these, and a tutorial is coming. It was hard work, but sooo worth it. Adam didn't think anyone would notice, but we've had countless guests call or text us to say how cool they were.

When guests pulled out the invitation, this is what they saw.
We decided to forgo an inner envelope to save on cost and paper. Instead, we attached a label that is the same color as the envelope to the belly band with each guest's informal name. The belly band itself is actually the black-and-white-striped grosgrain ribbon that inspired me early on in planning.

Inside the belly band are the invitation, RSVP card, return envelope, and a website card.
We decided to pare down the number of pieces in the invitation suite to cut back on cost. Letterpress was really important to me, but it's pricey. Eliminating a separate accommodations card, reception card, and map cut the cost. It cut postage costs, too, although as you can see in the first picture, we did have to go with a 65 cent stamp instead of the Cape Cod stamp we'd picked out. Adam voted on the wedding cake over the butterfly.

Here's the most important enclosure, the invitation itself. The calligraphy is custom and the other font used throughout the suite is Copperplate Light. We also included the 6-point star that's on the Chicago flag since we have a bit of a Chicago theme to the wedding.
We decided to go with mostly traditional wording (with a feminist twist), but because both sets of parents are acting as hosts, we included both sets "above the fold." We also eliminated the need for a separate reception card by including that information on the invitation itself.

The paper is nice and thick, and the letterpress is deep. Here's a shot I took on the el right after I picked them up from our amazing printer, Nina at Tweedle Press.
Next is the RSVP card. Adam had fun with this part of the invitation. Instead of the typical "beef" or "chicken" wording, Adam thought it would be fun to put pictures. I've had a couple inquiries about what that means, but I think most people were able to figure it out. I think it adds a touch of whimsy and personality to an otherwise-formal invitation. And on the return envelope, we were able to use our Cape Cod stamps, so they weren't a total waste.
Finally, there's the website card (with another appearance by the Chicago star). We figured it would replace the need for enclosures, but I've still gotten several calls and emails from people who want to know information easily ascertained on our website, like where the hotel is and how far it is from the church. Oh well.
So that's it! Our invitation suite. Beautiful paper was one of my top priorities for the wedding, and I couldn't be more thrilled with how these turned out. I hope you like them!

2 comments:

  1. so pretty, molly! very "chicago" and i of course love the letterpress!

    you do have one photo that still has your last names on it, if you want to fuzz that one out...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fixed! Thanks!

      And I'm glad you like them. I'm in love. :-)

      Delete