Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Saying Yes to the Dress

I didn't show you my dress before the wedding because I wanted it to be a surprise for Adam and everyone else. Now that everyone has seen it, I can finally post about my shopping journey 10 months ago!

I posted back in January about the dresses that didn't make the cut. None of those dresses were a similar style to what I eventually chose. Most of my inspiration dresses were all-lace, but one was a simple strapless dress with a lace bolero.
Jim Hjelm
After trying on a few dresses, this is the style I decided I liked best. Mrs. Wizard and Mrs. Jaguar have also rocked lace boleros.
Weddingbee / Photo by MichaelWill Photography
Weddingbee / Photo by The Follans
I went on two separate dress-shopping excursions: one in my hometown of Fort Wayne with my mom and sister, and one in Chicago with my mom, sister, mother-in-law and bridesmaid. The Fort Wayne trip was more of an exploratory mission to see what I liked. These two dresses made me realize I was leaning towards a no-lace option.
I can't remember which designers they were by, but I loved how elegant and black-tie they looked. I loved that I could add a sparkly belt for a bit of detail without having beading all over the dress.

When we got to Chicago, I tried on a few different styles still, but the simple dresses were the ones I kept coming back to. When we got to Macy's, I tried on the Marisa gown that was a Vera Wang knock-off. This was the first time I got to see the complete gown + bolero look, and I was in love.
Bridesmaid L approved.
I stood in that dress with the bolero on for about an hour. I even tried on another bolero with it.
 
I especially loved how the lace looked from the back.

We went to another store after leaving Macy's, but I didn't like anything there. Finally, our last stop of the day was Jenny Yoo. Her fabulous dresses are all very simple with minimal embellishments. I booked an appointment there after our first shopping trip in Fort Wayne because I knew her dresses would look gorgeous with a lace bolero.

And I was right. I only tried on 2 dresses in the store before deciding to purchase the last dress, Madison.
My mom had trouble visualizing the bolero with it, so we tucked a lace-edged veil into the top of the dress for her.
I like the simplicity of the dress. The only detailing is a bit of pleating along the bust as well as buttons down the back. I'm not surprised that the simplicity is what sold me on the dress. I wasn't 100% sold on the ruching on the Marisa dress. I was worried it might be too trendy and look dated in a few years. In general, I tend to favor simple, timeless clothing, and my wedding dress fits that bill. I also like to use subtle accessories to liven up outfits. I tried on a few different belt options with my dress, and eventually fell in love with the Jasmine belt because I could pin a brooch on the closure for a little extra sparkle.
 Now that I had the dress, I just needed to find the perfect bolero to go with it!

No comments:

Post a Comment