Thursday, January 3, 2013

One Treasured Day: Hitting Rock Bottom

After we finished up the rehearsal, everyone walked down to Rock Bottom Brewery for the rehearsal dinner. We grabbed beers, and got to mingling with our nearest and dearest.
With Groomsman/Bridesman P and Groomsman C
With Best Man B and Cousin S
My mother-in-law gave me and my bridesmaids matching jackets that said "Team Bride." I got white, and the girls got black.
Soon, dinner was served. During the salad course, we got to hear the first speeches of the weekend. Bridesmaid L really wanted to give a toast, so she gave a very sweet one at the rehearsal dinner. It brought a tear to my eye to hear all that love coming from my best friend.
The groomsmen were a little surprised to find out about the toast-giving, but whipped together a short, heartfelt toast once L was finished.
After the toasts, the main courses were served. The food was delicious, but I didn't eat much of it because I was getting really nervous. It started to hit me that it was really the wedding and I was really the bride.

Adam and I handed out our gifts to everyone during dinner, and that calmed me down a bit. After dinner, we watched a slideshow that my dad put together. It was really fun to see all those old pictures of the two of us as kids and as young adults just beginning our journey together.

After the slideshow, it was time to expand the party. The rehearsal dinner was just for people in the wedding (wedding party, readers, musicians, etc.), but once that was over, my in-laws wanted to open the room up to any guest who came in from out-of-town. People starting to show up and have a good time.

But as everyone else was having fun, I was not. By this point, I was extremely anxious. My anxiety tends to manifest itself through nausea, so I spent the better part of the welcome party in the bathroom just in case. Finally, I grabbed Adam and told him I needed to take a walk with him. We stepped out and got some fresh air with a walk around the block, and I let him know how I was feeling. Being alone with my soon-to-be-husband was really nice, but as soon as we returned to the party, the butterflies returned. I decided enough was enough, and Adam walked me back to my hotel.

Going home early was just what I needed. I finally got to be where no one was bothering me. I wrote my last post as a miss, and reflected on what the next day would mean. My gramama was there, too, but she didn't bother me at all. I think she could tell I was feeling overwhelmed, and we had a nice talk. She really calmed me down and helped relieve some of the pressure I was feeling.

The nice talks with Adam and Gramama still didn't prevent me from throwing up, though. That was a strange event. As soon as it happened, I laughed. I thought, how silly is it that I'm so nervous that I'm puking? I'm about to marry the best man in the world, and I'm vomiting? That doesn't make any sense! But I'm glad it happened because as soon as I got back into bed, the nervous butterflies were suddenly gone. They were replaced by excited butterflies, and I couldn't wipe the giant smile off my face. I forced myself to fall asleep, wearing my Team Bride hoodie.

Did anyone else get really nervous on the night before their wedding?

No comments:

Post a Comment