Monday, April 8, 2013

One Treasured Day: The End of the Road

After several hours of dancing, photos were starting to look like this:


...which meant the end of our reception was near. We planned the final two songs with our DJ to end the night right. The first was the Notre Dame Fight Song.


Even though it was a bye week and no football was played that day, our wedding was in the middle of our undefeated football season (OK, fine, our undefeated regular season. I don't want to talk about our bowl game meltdown.), so our guests sang nice and loud. I credit our cheers with the team's success.

The very last song of the night was an unexpected choice for most people, but very predictable to our friends. There's a bar in South Bend called The Linebacker Lounge. Most students know it as The Backer, and it was our favorite place to go in college. Every single night, the Backer closes down with "God Bless the USA" by Lee Greenwood. We knew our wedding reception had to end the same way as all those sweaty, alcohol-soaked nights in college.


As wedding guests are wont to do, we all got into a big circle with our arms around one another and sang along with Lee.


Even though these aren't professional photos, these are some of my favorite photos from our wedding. Everyone is standing side-by-side - my brother standing next to Adam's cousin, my college friend with her arm around my father-in-law - with ties untied and hairstyles falling down after a long day of celebrating Adam and me. It was the best party I have ever been to, and I will never forget all the love in that circle.


The catering staff packed up tables and chairs while we hugged everyone. The staff yelled at us to get out as they turned the lights off on our wedding day.

No comments:

Post a Comment